Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Emerging Reader

     Imagine my excitement when I saw that one of my assignments for READ 3301 was to write a blog! I am a blogger, or was before school took over my life. The question is how did I become a reader? How did my literacy evolve? Right about now I am wishing my memory wasn't so fuzzy.
     I have fond memories of my mother reading me stories. I vividly remember her turning the pages, pointing to the words and showing me the pictures. I know I was very young, probably 18 months, when I was introduced to print. My father read to me as well, but he loved to tell stories and make them up as he went along. Both of my parents were readers and I saw them model that for me often. I continued to be read to as a child. As our family grew, I pretended to read to my younger brothers and sister. It wasn't long before I really was reading. I remember feeling like a circus act as my parents would "show off" my reading skills to friends and family. I am not sure if some of the reading I did at four years old wasn't just memorization because I had heard the books so many times. My parents were convinced I read at four, so who am I to argue?

No comments:

Post a Comment